Monday, May 14, 2007

My Second Semester as a Playlist

I know it's long, but it's been a meaningful semester. Full of change and growth. I've highlighted a few lines for you, so I hope you enjoy. Despite how it may appear, it's really been a positive, optimistic semester. Oh summer, what songs will you bear?


1. The Freshmen -- The Verve Pipe
"For the life of me I cannot remember, what made us think we were wise and we'd never compromise...We were merely freshmen."

2. Hero (Bonus Track) -- Regina Spektor
"I'm the hero of this story, don't need to be saved."

3. The Movers and the Shakers -- Herbert
"Don't wanna fight for a feeling."

4. Existence -- Kevin Max
"What is this, this mess of my existence?"

5. Am I Wry? No -- Mew
"Can you tell me exactly how I should have done?"

6. Dog Problems -- The Format
"And blame postmodern things I can't relate."

7. Pistol -- Dustin Kensrue
"Honey, you lay me bare."

8. Many Lives for 49 MP -- Final Fantasy
"He keeps a book of photographs of his younger self."

9. Uh-Merica (Bonus Version) -- Regina Spektor

10. Thin Blue Flame -- Josh Ritter
"If what's loosed on earth will be loosed upon high, it's a hell of a heaven we must go to when we die"

11. Wake Up - Arcade Fire
"We're just a million little gods causing rainstorms."

12. The Zookeeper's Boy -- Mew
"Answer me truthfully, do the clouds kiss you?"

13. Heart Made of Sound -- SoftLightes
"They could want you, but they don't need to want you."

14. Engwish Bwudd -- Man Man
"All I want to be is a shubbly bubbly gobbly goo.."

15. Alright (Ratatat remix) -- Memphis Bleek

16. Nothin' No -- David Vandervelde
"I remember every word that you said"

17. Stop This Train -- John Mayer
"I know I can't, but honestly, won't someone stop this train?"
(but pretty much the entire song is golden...)

18. Everything Starts Where It Ends -- Lovedrug
"When nobody wants you in their life..."

19. The Wrong Guy -- Julie Doiron
"No one should see this."

20. Sad, Sad Song -- M. Ward
"The hardest thing in the world to do, is to find somebody believes in you."

21. Borderline -- Sufjan Stevens
"Don't put up your borderline."

22. Perhaps She'll Wait -- Bebo Norman
"But I will dream of tomorrow, where perhaps she'll wait for me."

23. His Guiding Hand (Album) -- Medicine Head

24. Thieving -- Lovedrug
"We're all in love with stolen hearts."

25. Me, Violin and Dancing Bear -- Page France
"They want a crooked-er you and a crooked-er me."

26. Click Click Click Click -- Bishop Allen
"You've ended up in someone else's frame."

27. Damnit Anna -- The Morning Benders
"Can't you look me in the eyes?"

28. Waking Up Before Her -- Groom
"Replacing your face will be only half the battle."

29. I'll Believe in Anything -- Wolf Parade
"Oh look at the trees and look at my face and look at a place far away from here."

30. You're Supposed To Be My Friend -- 1990s
"We're supposed to get along."

31. These Are the Eyes -- Bodies of Water
"You forgave but I cannot forget."

32. Billy Brown -- Mika
"Gonna shake the water out of every nook."

33. Big Boat -- M. Ward
"Says he's got a big boat but it's just a fairy boat and that makes for a short, short ride."

34. Coffee and Cigarettes -- Augustana
"Till Spring, when the sun can finally be free."

35. Mr. Disgrace -- Luke Temple
"He'd never written a poem."
"If only they knew where everything starts in a world made of too many parts."

36. Yolanda Hayes -- Fountains of Wayne
"Who can you trust with your love these days?"

37. A Savior On Capital Hill -- Derek Webb
"There's never been a savior on Capital Hill."

38. Step Forward -- Cloud Cult
"When you finally know you can't know, step forward."

39. Springfield, Or Bobby Got a Shadfly Caught in His Hair -- Sufjan Stevens
"I don't care to say what I failed to recognize."
"The morning papers made the most of nothing at all."
"I took off my clothes and she took it for a holiday."

40. Middleman -- Bright Eyes
"The dead can hide beneath the ground and the birds can always fly. The rest of us do what we must in constant compromise."

41. Stay Sound -- Steve Moakler
"All I can ask of you is that you not forget about me."
"You be the gun I'll be the trigger finger. We'll start a war..."

42. Colorshow -- The Avett Brothers
"Be loud let your colors show."

43. Fiend Over Your Knees -- Thee, Stranded Hourse

44. Marion Barfs -- Clint Mansell

45. Going To A Town -- Rufus Wainwright
"Tell me, do you really think you go to hell for having love?"
"I'm so tired of you, America."

46. Racing Like A Pro -- The National
"Oh my God it doesn't mean a lot to you."

47. Selling Advertising -- David Bazan
"I know it's hard to be original. In fact, nothing scares me more, because Jesus only lets me do what's already been done before."

48. Brotherhood of Man -- The Innocence Mission
"This is the brotherhood of man."

49. This Too Shall Be Made Right -- Derek Webb
"And this too shall be made right."

50. Walken -- Wilco
"I was talking to myself, about you."

51. Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah -- Jeremy Casella
"Land me safe on Canaan's side. Bid my anxious fears, goodbye."

2 comments:

Kendra Marie said...

brilliant. yes, this is life changing. so i almost put coffee and cigarettes and freshmen on your mix...glad you got in on yours. sounds like it was a full sem. can't wait to hear all about it.

go to www.chadjarnagin.com said...

Well done and played bro.

Wainwright's new record is amazing!

C