Tuesday, March 13, 2007

(RED)iculous?

Craig Borlase has written this blog with the purpose of questioning the (RED) campaign and the concept behind it. He quotes a report that says $100 million has been spent advertising for RED products, but it has only generated $18 million to benefit the Global Fund. To his credit, thankfully he also links to the response to the report by the CEO of RED. Unfortunately, he adds his own interpretation to what the response ACTUALLY said, and one might be led astray if they merely read his summary of the response and not the response itself. You wouldn't realize that the money raised by RED thus far is FIVE TIMES (i repeat...FIVE TIMES) the amount given to the Global Fund by the private sector in the last four years. And you say that the RED campaign is failing?!?!?!

I'm sorry, but I have a problem with people tearing down great, innovative ideas that are working to make the world a better place. Maybe the results aren't THAT impressive (i beg to differ), but the fact is that corporate America is finally being used to do some good. I believe that all things can be restored. All things can be renewed. Thank God that people are becoming aware of social issues. Thank God that big shot business people are realizing that people are becoming aware of social issues. Thank God that there is money in marketing social issues. That means that social issues are becoming a prominant force to motivate people. Sure, the solution is probably not, "Buy more and more...you're saving the world that way," but it's a start. Everybody needs an entry point. And this awareness and the fact that social issues are becoming "cool" and "trendy" is a good thing, not a bad thing. Let's ride the "cool" wave and make a difference. So many of my friends (and I myself) have become passionate about social issues first because it was "cool," and then stuck with it because it literally changed their lives. My friend Jean Michael has spent the last 2 months in Uganda after seeing Invisible Children. Tell him that social issues shouldn't be marketed as the new "cool" and "trendy" thing. And let's face it, big business isn't going away. Why not use it to help solve the AIDS crisis? How crazy would it be 10 years ago for a marketing campaign like this? No one would have gone for it. Let's use it for a good thing.

I appreciate the motives of sites like Buy (less) Crap, but let's not be niave. Let's not assume that everyone is just going to magically be immune to the 3,000 advertisements that are daily presented to Americans. It's a great personal goal and something I strive to do, but EVERYONE isn't magically going to sacrifice their iPods, cell phones, cameras, and stylish clothing. Let's then let corporate America market these products with AIDS tagged on it. And in the process use their money to market products that raise money for a good cause. "A house divided cannot stand." Why tear each other down, we are all trying to accomplish the same thing. Can't we all just be friends? (I realize how ironic that statement is due to the nature of this post...)

As a business major, I hope to use business to turn the world around. To bring heaven to earth. That's why I'm so fascinated with things like the RED campaign and the up and coming micro-lending movement. I hope to turn around business.

Also, I have no bad blood towards Craig. He's an incredible writer and I am a big believer in what he stands for. I have been following him ever since RELEVANT covered him and love what he is doing. I just happen to disagree with him on this point.

That's a lot to digest, but I'd love to hear your thoughts. What do you guys think about it? I know many of you are involved with social issues. Chad, any thoughts or suggestions?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I thought I was a math retard.
Why didn't they just give the advertising money to the cause?

go to www.chadjarnagin.com said...

Great post man.

In the world we live in one has to spend money (capital) to make capital. In short, I'll just say that Kevin's thought to just give the AD money to the cause wouldn't work in the world we live., unfortunately. There is no product involved.

In the west, we HAVE TO HAVE something to consume. That's why we are the worlds biggest consumers. WE have to GET something in return for our capital.

Idealism is never dead... nor should it be. Good things come from it.

The way I see it is, the 18 million that has been generated is 18 million that WE have helped with that WE wouldn't have. It cost AD money that they were going to spend on other things.

My .02.
C