Thursday, March 29, 2007

Augustana at Cityhall

A friend graciously gave me two tickets to the Augustana and Vega4 show last night in Nashville at Cityhall, and I was willing to go. To be all that honest, I wasn't overly excited about it with their recent success with the song "Boston." I have been a fan of the band for a couple of years now since I heard their EP before All the Stars and Boulevards was released, but it's been a while. I had the irksome worry that I was about to see a pretty, glossy band that doubled for the album cover of the next Grey's Anatomy soundtrack. Not so. And it was incredible.

Vega4 is a multinational band, featuring a frontman and a bass player from ireland (think bono meets snow patrol to get a picture of the vocals), a drummer from Canada, and a guitar player from New Zealand. They were very good for an opening act, though, and their stage presence, albeit crude, was quite enjoyable. They ended their set with the lead singer taking the mic and walking through the crowd a good 20 feet out from the stage. The hit song is "Life is Beautiful," and if you're a fan of any snow patrol (somewhere in between Final Straw and Eyes Open), then you should fine the tune and listen to it yourself!

Augustana definately was different than I expected. Their frontman honestly reminded me mostly of Kid Rock in his appearance and mannerisms, sporting red boots, tight jeans, a simple white v-neck undershirt, a slight mustache, and a black cowboy hat covering his long, unmanaged curly black hair. He had an extremely low voice and had sometimes awkward interactions between him and the audience. Definately not a diva playing the crowd, he was in his own world of his own music. Which was perfectly fine when you have the voice that he does. Un-frickin-believable! He, along with the band, got lost in their songs, and you wish they'd never find their way to the end. Half the set was probably new songs the audience has never heard before, but it didn't matter. I wish I could see him again getting to the climax of a song letting his raspy voice take off and soar to crazy heights and his body being thrown into every word he sang. It was great. Halfway during the set, he brought up a steel-guitar player that he had apparently met earlier that day. They played a few of the most beautiful folk songs I have heard, and I wouldn't complain (probably the opposite) if they released a folk album next. Unfortunately, I don't think that'll be the case...but it should be! Anyway, if you get a chance to catch the tour before it ends, I would suggest it!

Last picture credited to Not on the Guest List.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can you please credit the third pic down to me?
Thanks!