Friday, February 23, 2007

I Wish I Said That... Part 1

Spring has sprung, and therefore in its honor (or just in mother nature's honor in general) I have decided to post one of my favorite quotes. Courtesy of Frederick Buechner.

"I go about my business, and it goes about its business, but though we are in countless ways removed from each other, we are by no means uninvolved with each other. When the leaves start to change in September, something in me starts to change with them. When some sorrow rises in my throat or some gladness makes my heart beat faster, the very indifference of the landscape becomes a kind of bond between us because it is I who am the one it is indifferent to, and my sorrows and gladnesses are reduced to size by its endless capacity for ignoring them. So there is Buechner being himself say the hills and fields, the horses and birds, the rain, the snow, the sun. And there you are being yourself too, I say back. Such vast and unconditional acceptance of each other is not the same thing as love, I realize, any more than upekha is the same thing as agape, but it is not altogether unrelated either. In deep and mysterious ways, I think neither of us would be quite the same without each other."

More thoughts on springing soon enough.

No comments: