Monday, February 19, 2007

Friends Shmiends

Sociologists tell us that the average human can handle about 110 relationships.

Facebook tells me I have 187 friends at Belmont, 102 friends in Nashville, 37 friends at MTSU, 33 friends at Franklin High School, etc., etc....

I guess this clearly means that I am super-human. Either that or that sociologists lie.

Or maybe it's that we as a society and I as a person am going shallower and shallower with more and more people. I've noticed something about myself recently. When I'm talking to someone in a place full of people, people that I potentially know, I have a hard time consistently looking that person straight in the eyes. I am constantly looking over their shoulders for the next person I recognize. I can't even focus on the conversation I am having with the person right in front of me. I am a victim of a fast-paced, myspace friend world. Tis sad really. I'm gonna have to work on it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It happens I guess. But I can see no harm in making friends online as long as you can concentrate and give ample time to your old friends. Good luck and no need to worry.
Peep into my blog on friendship greeting cards for some beautiful e-greeting cards and friendly tips.