Monday, January 01, 2007

07 is the new 06


So here's to my New Year's Resolutions:

1) Make a "Not To Do" List. In reading Jim Collins' Good to Great, I was inspired to create a "Not To Do" list. That is, the opposite of a "To Do" list. Too many times, too many good things take up our time. I'd rather focus on a fewer number of things, and do them great. Namely, the things that will make my "Not To Do" list will be pointless things that do not add value, meaning, or even entertainment to my life (i.e. spending hours upon hours probing through the endless tunnel that are facebook profiles).

2) Continue Exercising and Running. I have done a good job at this this semester, but I would love to be able to run a 10k or even a half marathon this year. I hope to either maintain my weight or add muscle weight.

3) Be More Disciplined. I have abandoned a whole lot of the discipline I had been taught to strive towards as an early teen by my mentors in the last couple of years, and not for foul reasons. I have learned tons about grace and relaxing and being instead of doing. WIth that said, however, I now see the need for a new era in my life of growth through discipline. I have also learned recently that discipline does not mean the lack of fun. Quite the contrary, if done right, it should be liberating and provide more fun by freeing up time and providing a sense of accomplishment, motivation, and worth, etc. One of my first goals as a part of this is to read more. There is so much knowledge out there that is waiting to be grasped (and so many exciting stories to enjoy).


So, now that I've indulged my life, what are your New Year's resolutions? Please do tell...

1 comment:

nina.coyle said...

You are definitely right when you say living with an 'in the moment' mindset is easier said than done...

But, I think even simply establishing awareness of the goal to do so does works to spur on my thinking and action-taking toward living in such a manner.